Thursday, April 2, 2015

Play By Play Of Mexico

Despite the time it's been since the actual trip, a post is in order! I thought it only fair to give details somewhere (considering it's a bit unfair to unload them on someone who spends their days in the cold while I on those few days was getting vigorously sunburned). So the posts will be here.
January 19-25 some of my family and I, relaxed in the Gulf of Mexico and explored islands off of Mexico.

This^ was on the Yucatan Peninsula, Uxmal (Mayan Ruins). This was the temple at the main gate. We found out, if you clap your hands while at the entrance, an echo that sounds like a bird's chirp (a loud one) goes off. This leads to some amazing acoustics when they bring bands in to play. (Dream Goal!) 

This^ was the half-uncovered temple at the back of the site. This one could be climbed on but, the steps were so narrow you had to walk up sideways (whilst leaning against the structure). Two boys around the ages of ten and twelve didn't get the memo! I swear I went into full panic mode as they raced each other up the front of the structure on the tips of their toes. Still, the view was gorgeous.

This^ was on top of the temple in the last picture. It took my step dad with knee problems all of five minutes to get to the top (about 180 stairs already 75 feet in the air). And it took my fourteen year old Aunt and I about 25 minutes. It was a shameful moment for us when we looked back after climbing about 7 stairs and gasping for air to see him already at the top. Quite shameful.

This^ I SWEAR to you was the best game of ping pong to have ever been played. If you count loosing about three of the balls, having five take a nose dive into the pool, almost breaking the light fixture, and hitting the ball back only three times an actual game. It was a sit down sort of scenario. We laughed for so long we couldn't look at one another without getting a migraine. Considering it was two in the morning, maybe even later, I consider this the funnest night on the ship. 

Do you see that little speck in front of the temple? That's me! It was literally so huge you couldn't not take a photo. This wouldn't even fit fully on Facebook. It kept trying to cut my head off... I didn't appreciate that I think you could say. 

This little cove, believe it or not, has quite an interesting story attached to it. If you lean on the walls on the inside it acts as a air conditioner of sorts. And those black marks at the end? THEY'VE NEVER BEEN TOUCHED BY THE SUN. So it's cold to the touch! We sat there for a while, considering it was instantly 80 degrees the minute you walked back into the open square. 
The open square itself has a remarkable story. When standing in the field on the west side you can shout at the person on the east side, and hear nothing even if they shout back. But, if you are standing on the east side, and a person from the west side just as little as whispers, it'll sound like they are shouting in your ear. It's been 1,200 years and their geometry then is still better than ours is now. 

I was excited about seeing this part of the site. Back in fifth grade we watched a movie about the Mayans and a game they played, came up. This was the court they used when playing a quite peculiar game. While it seems like basketball and soccer combined, they used a stone ball. Ouch. They could not use hands or feet but had to use hips, knees, and elbows. I can just imagine the hip problems. 

This was back in New Orleans on our way to the airport. Not a huge story to go with it but it was windy enough that it blew me away! My parents say they lost me in this park. Oops. I only walked down the sidewalk I swear. I was following the birds!

This^ was back in Uxmal. The "throne" could be twisted depending on where you wanted to be positioned. Another cool part was that it had dual purpose. On one side it was a female cougar and the other side was a male cougar. 

This was at the front of the site where our fantastic tour guide snapped a couple shots of us. 

It would be absolutely impossible to forget this beautiful beach on Cozumel. We spent the day snorkeling, getting massages, sleeping in hammocks, and eating ice we weren't supposed to! I only regretted the ice after we got home.

On the way to the beach. We had just docked in Cozumel and were about to go through customs. (Customs included two golden retrievers and a handful of mermaids and pirates. No joke.)

This was also when we had just docked in Cozumel. Oh, I miss that beautiful place.

This was the sunset on the boat the first night! #Sogorgeous and surprisingly #nofilter

This was the sunset the first night... really glad we got these in the long run because the rest of the nights were so windy you weren't aloud on deck. Oh man, and this was right outside of the 24 hour pizza line. Oh the memories. (We found out that if you go there anytime other than for lunch... NO ONE IS EVER THERE. FREE PIZZA. WHY WAS NO ONE ELSE THERE. Crazies. All of 'em.)

This was my beautiful stack of pancakes. They were so delicious I literally cried. It was a beautiful moment for me. 

JUST LOOK AT IT. ISN'T THAT COOL? NO? Well I thought it was amazing. 

And this was Leah! It was just too pretty of a picture for me not to put it up. #tumblrpic

Thank you for checking out my blog! xx